November 5, 2007: This website is an archive of the former website, traprockpeace.org, which was created 10 years ago by Charles Jenks. It became one of the most popular grassroots peace sites in the US, and its content remains as an important resource on the antiwar movement, student activism, 'depleted' uranium and other topics. Jenks authored virtually all of its web pages and multimedia content (photographs, audio, video, and pdf files. As the author and registered owner of that site, his purpose here is to preserve an important slice of the history of the grassroots peace movement in the US over the past decade. He is maintaining this historical archive as a service to the greater peace movement, and to the many friends of Traprock Peace Center. Blogs have been consolidated and the calendar has been archived for security reasons; all other links remain the same, and virtually all blog content remains intact.THIS SITE NO LONGER REFLECTS THE CURRENT AND ONGOING WORK OF TRAPROCK PEACE CENTER, which has reorganized its board and moved to Greenfield, Mass. To contact Traprock Peace Center, call 413-773-7427 or visit its site. Charles Jenks is posting new material to PeaceJournal.org, a multimedia blog and resource center.
Rachael Corrie Murderd in Gaza
Young Peacemakers - with Links
Traprock Peace Center is committed to providing peace education programs for youth, showing youth alternatives to war, engaging youth in peace activism, and recognizing young peace makers. By youth, we mean young people through high school age. (Traprock has had a national role in supporting primarily college age anti-war activists - see student activism. )
Some examples of our work with and for youth:
* Annual Peacemaker Awards recognize high school student peacemakers. We have sponsored 4 annual ceremonies with the Inter-faith Council of Franklin County with Greenfield High School hosting the ceremonies. These awards have been very popular in the community and have inspired youth and elders alike. Several photo-albums of these ceremonies appear below.
* Banner painting, peace T-shirt making (see photo below) and similar activities with youth - at schools and elsewhere - with Sunny Miller.
* Conscientious Objection tabling and education at schools has been provided by CORE group members Eric Wasileski (Desert Fox Veteran), Sarah Thayer and others.
* Help Increase the Peace (HIP) trainings on conflict resolution in schools, provided by Sunny Miller.
* Distribution of Traprock Peacemakers Exhibit- a set of panels devoted to local, national and international peace makers with educational materials - that circulate among schools.
* Cooperation with youth organizations - such as Deerfield Academy's student chapter of Amnesty International - in sponsoring or promoting programs.
*Participation of youth - with parental consent for minors - in Traprock events.
* Educational Programs that address the adverse impact of war, injustice and environmental degradation on youth and families.
10 Student Peacemakers of Franklin Country honored at the 4th annual Peacemakers Awards, sponsored by the Interfaith Council of Franklin County and Traprock Peace Center. See Photo-Album of all the student peacemakers with their families and faculty sponsors.
May 3 - 50 Sleep-Out in cardboard boxes and tents in Greenfield, MA and raise $5000 for the homeless shelter. It was near freezing on a clear night. Thanks to Eve Brown-Waite and a community-wide effort. Eric Wasileski represented Traprock's Core Group and Sunny helped with publicity. (Photo by Sunny Miller)
April 27 - After the Sunday noon Amherst vigil, Traprock joined the Earth Day march. Here, two budding peace makers pose with the banner they carried.
Mohawk Students for Peace unleash creativity on peace shirts in honor of man arrested at CrossGate Mall for refusing to remove his peace shirt.
The Amherst Middle East Education Committee is an affiliate project of the Peace Center. We are proud to be working with this organization. At left is Faraj, a 17 year old Palestinian. AMEEC is sponsoring Faraj while he completes high school locally. Faraj is a peace activist who was featured in the award-winning film "Promises." He just started school after attending Seeds of Peace camp this summer.
Dec. 21 - Hannah and Hallie holding Peace Quilt that they made with children at the Concert for Peace for the Western Mass. Interfaith Coalition for Peace & Justice. The quilt will be taken to Iraq on a peace mission.
Young Peacemakers 2002
Young Peacemakers 2001
Click on Photo to see full size image!
Young Peacemakers 2000
Awards & Celebration - Sunday, May 7th
Teens, parents, teachers and community members gathered at the Greenfield High School to honor the good works of 8 young Peacemakers during the Week of Awareness for the Prevention of Violence. At the awards celebration, nominators read their letters full of praise for these teens, grades 9-12, who live in Franklin County:
Andrew and Luke Toritto were proud to take a stand for peace and justice on the Greenfield Common in October. These young peace makers remind us what it's all about. Their parents Joe and Lucy Toritto have deep commitments to peacemaking.
Traprock Peacemakers Exhibit (circulates among schools)
Peace Incorporated - youth organization
New Moon Magazine for Girls
The Family Center
The Kids Campaign to Build a School for Iqbal
New Moon: The Magazine for Girls and Their Dreams -
This is a great magazine, run by girls, for girls.
Our intern, Mavis Gruver, was an editor of the magazine for four years.
Page created June 27, 2003 by Charlie Jenks